Capitalist Mind, Christian Heart

I hate hypocrisy. There’s nothing wrong with being wrong because we’re all wrong and Christ took care of those wrongs.

But being wrong and presenting yourself as right- that’s beyond wrong. That’s just… just dirty.

I have an entire section dedicated to my business-related blog posts because marketing, finance, and economics absolutely fascinate me. In fact, until I had my recent ‘Come to Jesus,’ my religion wasn’t Christianity- it was Capitalism. And my idol was money.

So I get it.

Luckily God set me straight and I’m not as misguided as I once was.

But the more I learn about business and the sweetheart of free enterprise, the more my stomach churns with disgust. The more grateful I become that God yanked me away from the monster I was trying so desperately to feed.

• Through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. (Genesis 3:17)
  • By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground. (Genesis 3:19)

I’m not against business because it provides jobs. And jobs are important for us to provide for ourselves and our families. Even though I consider myself a conservative- I also recognize earning a living isn’t just a human right. It’s a human punishment.

Sorry my dear brothers and sisters on the right. The Garden of Eden didn’t have a free market economy. Everyone had their needs taken care of for free. Talk about unbalanced wealth distribution lol.

But that was God’s perfection.

Unfortunately, we don’t live in the Garden of Eden. We live in the Garden of Economics. That means working for the things we need. Laboring to put food on our tables and clothes on our backs.

Since the downfall of Adam and Eve, by necessity, we had to serve two masters. God and the ground. We worship God. Thank God. Pray to God. But our time and energy goes to the ground.

The dirt.

Where we are destined to end up after we breathe our last breath. There we will remain unless we’ve been saved.

So here I am. Trying to stay focused on Christ and the end game. While spending my time and energy earning a living to provide for my family. It doesn’t seem so bad. I like being able to pay my bills and feed my daughter. I like to take it further and buy nice things. Get my nails done. Have cute outfits. #materialism

But I have discernment.

A company tells new hires that integrity is its highest priority. What that really means is, “Don’t fuck with company resources. When you’re on the clock, you belong to the company. Forget that and you’re out of here.”

Sure they’ll church it up by throwing out words like “integrity” and “ethics.” But integrity means doing the right thing regardless of the cost. Not doing the right thing only if the reward is greater than the cost.

If you have a job, or have ever had a job, you know I speak the truth.

You’ve probably been faced with countless decisions to do the right thing and help out a customer/client, or ignore what you feel to be right in order to meet quotas, increase profits, comply with company policies and procedures, etc.

That’s understandable.

People will ignore their consciences and obey orders from anyone so long as those orders come from a seemingly authoritative entity (proven by the Milgram Experiment).

It’s an icky fact that we all compromise our faith on a regular basis to maintain certain lifestyles.

The nature of the beast is that we have to work. More often than not, we have to work for business entities that have no sense of right and wrong outside of their financial statements.

How I feel about companies calling their policies and procedures “ethical” is the same way the security officer felt about Joe Dirt calling himself Joe “Dirte.”

“Don’t try to church it up, son. Don’t you mean dirt?”

Let’s be real and stop pretending like company protocols are about ethics. Because we all know they’re about economics.

About money.

About dirt.

*Rae

Advertisements

55 thoughts on “Capitalist Mind, Christian Heart

1. Advanced Research Technology says:

I’ve been in the business world since I was a young child. I had my first business in 4th grade. Business is an enslavement economy. It always wars against our soul.
    The heavenly economy rests upon a whole other set of principles and unlimited resources.
    The trick is, it’s one or the other in order for it to work. Rarely can we achieve that blend.
    Thank goodness the false monetary economy will someday be overthrown, but not until the Kingdom economy is set up in our hearts.

Liked by 4 people

2. I do well at work. I work hard at getting along with everyone. My company is generally an ethical one by most standards. However, when I’m at work I feel far from home. Sometimes I feel homesick. Talk of profits and gain isn’t me.

Liked by 2 people

3. Amen! You’re absolutely right. I avoid blaming CEOs or specific people because it’s an entire system that goes against everything that seems right. Businesses are well-disguised, too. What with talented Public Relations teams and the sort. But at the end of they day, business entities exist to solely to make money. And everything else is secondary. What’s ethical in business is anything that doesn’t involve the threat of pricey lawsuits.

Liked by 2 people

4. Advanced Research Technology says:

The thing is, when we dispense with the slavery principle, the principle of being bought and sold for value, the principle of having a cost, and just do whatever it is that makes us happy at no cost, the universe makes that effort limitless and boundless.
    Business operates on a principle of use. The universal principle operates on the principle of creation. Action creates bounty if approached in a spirit of giving.
    Lol! I feel like I’m spewing out spiritual principles 101. Can’t wait till it catches on. 😉

Liked by 5 people

5. EVERY economic system is run by human beings, and no man is good. The more power that a ruler of the economy one has, the more corrupt he will be. A global economic system run by one or a very few will corrupt absolutely, and that is regardless of its philosophy or what it is called. Such forms could be communism, fascism, monopoly capitalism … The moist fair and free is Adam Smith’s free market capitalism, a system that succeeds by providing goods and services other want at prices the customers are willing to pay. That cals for fairness in competition, that is, no monopoly. Unfortunately, J. D. Rockefeller gave capitalism a bad name by living by his motto, “Competition is sin.” Of course, the one in power would not want competition.

Liked by 2 people

6. We can’t serve both God and money (or our own ambitions). Had learned this the hard way, being pulled into two different directions. And I have no more intention of going through that again, especially in failing other people who have set their hopes on me.

My heart is set for service, and though it’s been hard, I just trust God to provide for my needs and those dear to me. My hope is that someday he’ll provide a way for me to serve him, and make a living too, without compromising any of my beliefs 🙂

Thanks for the Like, by the way. And thanks for finding me. I’m new here, and it’s good to find a Sister in the Lord.

Liked by 5 people

7. I’m like you, too! I’m hoping and praying the Lord gives me an out where I can provide for me and mines without compromising. Until then, I’m going to be as much of a blessing to my colleagues and customers as I can.

Liked by 3 people

8. You got me to think, due to the way you say it, that the arrangement in the first Christian church was like that in Eden. In Acts we’re told that the first church was dedicated to meet the needs that folk had. Yes, that’s “free” economy. And not so capitalistic.

I used to hear Christian-talk about “the greed systems of the world.” I thought that made sense. More recently, I’ve asked folk to consider how things might go if we removed profit from the process. We could grow in whatever way we wished. We’d acquire what we like without the press of greed. The needs of others would not be a matter of how do we make money, too.

I think you’re right that there is joy in earning money to purchase food and gifts and pleasant things. And why not? God made the world and all its pleasures. Maybe if we let God be our boss, we’d get it right. Or much, much better.

Thanks!

Liked by 2 people

9. Very good piece here, Rae! I love seeing God at work in His beloved people, and He’s beautiful in you, my sis! Please allow me to call you on something, though: allow Him to empower you to resist writing the f word! As you know, we certainly can’t do these things (and He knows it better than we do!), but we are no longer our own: He WILL do the godly work when we turn it over to Him to do! Love you!

Liked by 1 person

10. I didn’t mean my choice of words to offend. Where I come from, cuss words are used regularly. In my neck of the woods, the stigma of ‘bad language’ isn’t as strong as it might be in circles where a lot of emphasis is placed on the politeness of words. I’m sure there are countless verses and reasons why ‘good Christians’ don’t curse. I also know there is scientific evidence that those who curse are typically more honest and less inclined to lie 😉 plus there are actually emotional benefits of swearing.

Liked by 3 people

11. I certainly will 🙂 right now, we’re still working on pride, anger, impatience, and that’s just the beginning lol The Lord hasn’t even got started good with me. I’m a work in progress 😛

Liked by 5 people

12. Great post Rae. Thanks for keeping it real, like you always do…and especially for not wrapping up the ugly truth of hypocrisy in the workplace with a pretty bow.
    As for Christians who find your choice of words offensive and present their Bibles as a source for you to investigate their unsolicited advice, perhaps they should do a little investigating of their own, beginning with Thessalonians 4:11 ” and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you”.
    Just. Sayin’.
    Bests, P.

Liked by 2 people

13. “The Garden of Eden didn’t have a free market economy. Everyone had their needs taken care of for free. Talk about unbalanced wealth distribution lol” I hope you don’t mind, but I will be quoting this in every discussion I have about grace and charity from now on. So, very well said!

Liked by 1 person

14. Haha that’s absolutely fine with me lol it hurts my pro-capitalism pride, but from what I gather in Genesis, God was/is very charitable. Even now, everything we have and are is handed down from His generosity.

Liked by 2 people

15. controversialchristian1 says:

This is good on so many levels, and so clearly and concisely written. I haven’t read all the replies, so forgive me if I go over something else someone has commented on.

America, and by default the West, has always had two ‘gods’. The ‘god’ of religion, and the ‘god’ that is money. Both preserved the social order, usually in favour of the wealthy, who once powerful enough and stable enough, could be slightly magnanimous to the poor by offering crumbs to those at the bottom and slow advancement and bigger crumbs to those who were smart or going places. That’s Western society for the last 500 years or so. America refined this system. True faith is putting Jesus first. Money, or any other idol, is a very very poor substitute.

But, we have to get on, we have to work. Most of us don’t have private fortunes like Paris Hilton or the idle rich upper crust in England, or Monaco. So, what is the answer? The answer, is always to put Jesus first in all our ambitions. I have a strong ambition to be a published and successful author. Not success by monetary terms alone, but to actually write something that has some value. Not just churning out any old rubbish to make a buck. I’d rather write something that had value to others, than simply made me millions. I have no real desire or need for a million pounds, or dollars. I desire peace, good health and contentment first, And those riches are found first in a relationship with Jesus.

Liked by 4 people

16. Contro, I love your response! Absolutely right on all points. My goal is to be an author as well, but I want to do it without losing my place in Christ. The thing is, the world is so corrupt. I’m sure my post hasn’t even begun to scratch the surface. There’s a reason why God promised to make it all new instead of fixing. Because the world as is, forgive my pessimism, but beyond repair. Thank you for your thoughts!

Liked by 1 person

17. Dominick says:

What struck me is your honesty about us Christians. There is wisdom and honesty in knowing we all fall short, EVEN AS CHRISTIANS!” There is an old phrase, “simul justus et peccator” it means simultaneously justified and sinner. Early Christians knew we’d always have this struggle. I think your article really fleshed that out! awesome and thanks!

Liked by 3 people

18. Dominick says:

It’s helped me immensely. Always felt weighed down by trying to measure up to the faith God gave me. It helped me realize that its part of the struggle. We are gonna fall sometimes. But His grace is greater than our sins.
    (FYI- not excusing sin, just acknowledging real life)

Liked by 2 people

19. Well thought out article. Makes you think! I believe money is only evil when we allow it to control us when we should control it.us. I’m working on that, in for the long haul. I know it’s easier said than done when you don’t always have what you need. I believe that’s where trusting God comes in. I have a very tight budget but God has never let me down yet! There is always hope when you believe. Thanks for your thoughts.

Liked by 3 people

20. The True Light! says:

They say we need to work to live, but that can lead some into living to work. Many will chase after the things of this world which are passing away along with those who are in pursuit. I got a piece of financial advice which I truly believe can be applied in this situation:

“A sure fire way to lose everything you have is to gain an ever increasing share of an ever decreasing market!”

Buy up all you can of this world, and see how much you have which is of true lasting value…it will be nothing! What can you expect to take to your grave? Nothing. God’s love and grace is all that matters in the life of eternity. There’s the smarter investment!

Good post, Rae

Steve

Liked by 2 people

21. Very insightful. As a CPA I have seen “unbalanced” all the time. It is easy to get caught up in it, especially if you are peddling it for a living. Now that I work for the Federal Government I really feel dirty at times, though I specifically have not done anything I fell has been unethical. But what happens when I am called to do something that crosses that line? Good post. Thank you.

Liked by 2 people

22. controversialchristian1 says:

Interesting comment by Dominick, and a very nice piece of Latin, too.

We are indeed in a struggle, and ironically, as Paul (formerly Saul of Tarsus) found, the biggest struggles may actually occur when we accept Jesus completely into our lives, see that our former Godless lives were empty and begin earnestly to live for Jesus. Before this realisation we are ignorant and sinful, but obviously less culpable. There is a whole world of difference between a financier on Wall street rigging the markets to make a financial killing, knowing the hardship his wealth ‘creation’ will cause many millions of others, and someone at the bottom selling flowers ‘on the side’ to make ends meet and not declaring it on earned income tax, or whatever.

However, the guy at the top and the guy at the bottom are simply being disobedient in the first place. God will look after us all when we trust Him completely. I think the biggest problem most Christians have, particularly notable in the US and UK, is that we just don’t fully trust in God! Oh, we pretend to, but we enviously see the wealth of others and we put our faith in secretly attaining these things, instead of just resting in God’s peace. It’s so difficult just to let go…

Liked by 2 people

23. DhyvD says:

Great article, food for thought. I find the comments interesting also, esp. A.R.T.’s.

I would say, however, that although action and creation are supported from beyond the totality (my phrase, you said “universe”, a younger me might have said God), they will still be limits and boundaries, and thus, what we need most of all is the ability to sustain active creation.

By ability, I mean, we need the context that supports it.

Business, I think, can be part of that.

Surely, working for an unethical employer, or in an unethical system, is a problem… but in order to reclaim our time and overcome some limits, learning about the other side, about how to lead the business, how to form the companies, is worthwhile, I think.

I can only say “I think” right now, because I am still learning to do it… but others have, previously, succeeded at doing so, which is how we know about many of the things we reference in the first place.

Even things meant once for destruction, we now use for creation, but we do so because someone, and some group, within some context, created a business case for their adaptation, and a strategy that got it popular enough to be recreated across the generations (e.g. Bibles, electronics, electricity, some of what lead to this part of the Internet).

So, I don’t think that the kingdom is a revert to Eden, but more like, an awareness of how blessings continue to flow, and how we can contribute to humanity. Just as Nehemiah had to speak to the bankers in his time, sometimes this takes some negotiation for the facilitation of effective creation (that is, constructive projects, creating something better), but this is all because we need morals to guide individuals, and designated places to co-ordinate peaceful activities, which weren’t necessary before morals came into play and group awareness was the only awareness.

Liked by 1 person

24. Rae,good writing. Specially about punishment. The way you put across the matters are great.but a suggestion from a Christian writer. If you use words like ‘fuck’, it breaks down the whole image of your blog. Please take a note of it.

25. We are entering a new phase of existence, we are being led by powers that have a goal far more destructive than managing the toil of mankind. We are in a time when Lucifer’s globalist psychopaths are attempting to herd us into a mass destruction that leads to the damnation of all through mind alteration, drugs, death of not just us, but all descendants … This is leading to Matthew 24 time, we are fighting the one flagrantly manifesting himself in his attempted destruction of the work of God’s hand.

Liked by 1 person

26. Agreed about greed. It does bring corruption, but it is not caused by capitalism, it is caused by our sin nature; no man is good. Capitalism, however it is applied, uses money, and coinage started about 700 B. C. The Ten Commandment, perhaps given about 1446 B. C., said that we are not to covet our neighbour’s house, wife, servant, man or woman, ox, donkey, or any of your neighbour’s possessions. There is nothing here about money. Capitalism has a bad name, but the problems are caused by humanity. More can be written, but I don’t know how far you want to take this.

Liked by 1 person

27. I’m new to your blog, just began reading a few posts here and there.

At the risk of coming across as a jerk, I want to make a simple critique of the use and what seems to be an understanding of scripture here. I’m glad you are for free markets, and also thank God you don’t see Free Markets as some gospel that can save people, because Free Markets don’t save people, well, they save people money but not their souls.

Let’s look at Genesis:

“Genesis 1:28-30

[28] And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” [29] And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. [30] And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. (ESV)”

Genesis 2:8-9

[8] And the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and there he put the man whom he had formed. [9] And out of the ground the LORD God made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (ESV)

Adam and Eve was provided with a lot of free stuff. First, being alive was given to them freely without their choice of saying so. God gave them an abundance of land, and animals too. God gave them everything on the earth and in the earth.

But I hope we all also caught something. Though much was given to them freely, because God is a giver, they also were commanded to work before the fall. They were commanded to work the dirt, till the soil, control the jungle, work for food etc.

Genesis 2:15

[15] The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. (ESV)

Certainly God gave them a lot. He gave them the whole earth. God wasn’t bartering or trading. There was no market or demand. God simply made and gave, all as a part of His plan to demonstrate that He will redeem the world when it falls because of the fall of man. But God also gave them work. He poured out tons of resources for Adam, giving him everything. Everything was given to him. But, after all was given to him, responsibility over it all was also given to him. He had to take care of it all. It wasn’t an option. And I believe from the logical flow of the passages, Adam from this point on would work for food. However, this is before the fall. So the work wasn’t as difficult. There wasn’t as much sweating. No weeds or thistles or failed crops.

But, there was also no markets because there were no people. So it’s hard to say if the garden would have been capitalist or socialist or anything. However, the text is straight forward in telling us that work was given to man before the fall, and that woman was created to be a help-mate to the man in doing all this work that God had given them.

So though man was given everything freely, they were also given a lot of work. They needed to fill the earth, subdue it, rule it, have dominion over the animals and the land. God gave them everything they needed. He provided much for them. But he also provided much work for them. He gave them a lot of responsibility.

So when we work, we aren’t serving the dirt, or the ground, or the earth. As Paul says, work as unto the Lord and not man. Why? Because God commanded man to work before the fall. So we must work. It’s a part of who we are.

The fall made work more difficult. The fall made it possible to plant seeds that produce no crop. But that’s okay, because Christ is the living seed that will produce a bountiful harvest at the end of the ages.