Read Genesis 1:1 – Genesis 4:26
- And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.
- If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.
- God created everything.
- Sin is disobedience to God.
- Satan lies to and opposes mankind.
- God favors sincere generous offerings.
Genesis Audience: The story of creation was not written with the purpose of convincing nonbelievers since the target audience were already people of faith. The focus is on God and His power- not a scientific account of creation. (Hudson, 8)
Authentic Events: Even though Genesis was not written to convince nonbelievers of the existence of God as Creator, evidence supports that Genesis presents authentic events. For example, Abraham marrying his half-sister (Gen. 20:12) was prohibited under Mosaic law and it’s unlikely Jews of that era would make up offensive events just to preserve a story. (Holman Reference, 31)
- The word Bible comes from the Greek word biblos and means book.
- The word Genesis means creation or origin.
- The word testament means convenant.
And that concludes the summary of my in-depth Bible study.
Any thoughts? Feel free to share in the comment section! 🙂
- Holman Reference. The Ultimate Bible Guide. Nashville, TN: Holman Bible, 2016. Print.
- Hudson, Christopher D. The 40-day Bible Adventure A Fascinating Journey to Understanding God’s Word. N.p.: Value, 2015. Print.
- New Women’s Devotional Bible (NIV). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006. Print.