Love, Lace, and Lock-Ins

I never expected to outgrow the shame and insecurity developed during my tween and teen years. A shame that had latched on to me like an insatiable tick- sucking any ounce of self-assurance that dared to manifest.

The only happy childhood memories I have are of pageants. My mother dressing me up in bows and lace. And memories of her taking me to Church. Especially when she permitted to sleep over at the youth lock-ins.

Soon after that, though, things weren’t so good.

I don’t want to bore you with a tired ol’ tale of growing up in poverty. Residing in a singlewide, being fed on food stamps, playing with donated toys, and wondering why my mother couldn’t do any better than 2 minimum wage jobs.

Embarrassment followed when I realized my family was different from my friends’ families. The only thing my mother had to her name was unrelenting faith.

She could barely pay rent, but opened our home to anyone in need of shelter. She couldn’t pay for food without EBT, but would feed anyone who was hungry.

A lot has changed since those days.

rae's mother and daughter.

My daughter (left) and my mother (right).

Due to God’s abundent blessings, I can give my daughter all the material luxuries I never had. Instead, I’m going to bequeth to her treasures that moths and vermin cannot destroy, that theives cannot steal. My mother’s treasures:

• Love
  • Faith
  • Time

My daughter has her very first pageant in a few weeks and I look forward to continuing the traditions of my mother. And to live so deeply in faith that my daughter cannot help but get saturated.

*Rae

Advertisements

29 thoughts on “Love, Lace, and Lock-Ins

1. This is a part of what the Word says about our faith being revealed. Paul said: “For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, the just shall live by faith” (Rom.1:17). My mother was a woman of faith, and her faith grows on us even today. I can think of times when mom and dad would say, “You can make it with God on your side.” So I also told this to my children. Be Blessed, and to live in faith that my daughter cannot help but get saturated.

Liked by 4 people

2. David W. Lawrence says:

I could not find the “Love” button so I had to settle for like. Rae, your pen has a beautiful easy flow to it that paints the most beautiful word pictures. Thank you for sharing this bit of your soul with us. Your daughter is truly blessed. God bless your mother and all women who have a faith that “finds the anchor in the veil.”

Liked by 1 person

3. What a marvelous post, Rae. thank you for sharing. It has been such a blessing watching you grow in your faith right before my eyes on this platform in the last year. May God bless you richly, and your daughter as well, as you continue to walk with Him

Liked by 2 people

4. VictoryOverRxDrugAddiction says:

You’re blessed! if it wasn’t for the poverty you went through in childhood, you would never be the amazing soul you are today. Your seasoned words are anointed and you heart is precious. Jesus pops out at me in your writings. ❤❤❤ I agree with David, I wish there was a ‘love’ button!!!

Liked by 1 person

5. atimetoshare.me says:

Beautiful story of faith and a testimony to both your mom and your child. Thanks for sharing your testimony with us.

Liked by 1 person

6. Thank you, Rae, for a lovely post; it warmed my heart when I read it.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7English Standard Version (ESV)

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[a] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Peace and love to all,
    Dinos

Liked by 1 person

7. Cristina says:

Amazing God, Amazing Grace.! His Faithfulness endures through all generations.
    Thank you for sharing this encouraging story.
    He makes everything beautiful in His time.
    In Christ’s love
    Cristina

Liked by 1 person

8. theancients says:

A beautiful tribute to your mom – and to getting to a place where one truly appreciates the eternal treasures of existence.
    Belated Happy Mother’s Day to you both!

Liked by 1 person

9. mgsunshine says:

Wow Rae. Your blog is like a breath of fresh air. Thank you for opening your heart and sharing. It must take a whole lot of strength. I am so blessed by our posts. Be blessed:-)

Liked by 1 person