Historically, special estates are given names. For example:
- Satis House (Great Expectations, Charles Dickens)
- Grey Gardens (Long Island home of the Bouvier Beales)
- The White House (Home of the United States President)
Much like a boat or a child, naming something makes it unique and set apart. Now that I’ve officially been a homeowner for two months (yay!), I want to name my house.
I woke up wondering what I could call this humble abode. This place that saved me from an single room apartment on the wrong side of town.
As I was researching ideas to revamp old patio furniture and upcycle items, it came to me. My home is where I:
- Gave up the life I had before to follow Christ.
- Brought my daughter after she was born in the hospital.
- Started Real as the Streets Blog.
- Was sought out by members of my current, permanent Church.
- Fully forgave the father of my child.
- Got offered my first full time salaried position.
- Got my first real promotion only 6 months after accepting the full time position.
In short, despite all I had done and been through, this place is where I’ve been granted countless blessings I never expected- nor deserved.
Like my Savior, my home is known for second chances. So today I Christen my home, “The House of Second Chances.”